Thursday, September 6, 2012

Wednesday Night Recap

What a night - what incredible speakers - Cecile Richards, Sandra Fluke, Richard Trumka, the 3 former Bain employees, Elizabeth Warren and of course Bill Clinton. Video and analysis are available from many places and you've either seen them or can go look them up!

Behind the scenes stuff: I took a shuttle bus from the delegation hotel to the arena. Yesterday there was a police officer on every bus who checked to make sure you had on a valid delegate credential. On the ride over, the officer explained why. The buses are "swept" every day by the Secret Service. By controlling access to them, it helps to ensure security. An example: same trip, leaving the hotels, a delegate asked to get off so she could walk back to the hotel as she'd forgotten something. As soon as she got off the bus, the officer got up, checked in & around her seat, including overhead bins. He apologized for his paranoia but explained that it made him nervous when someone got on the bus, stayed for a few minutes, and then wanted off. I think everyone on the bus applauded him for being paranoid!

My vantage point last night was much improved - I was in a wheelchair and when the volunteers couldn't park me with the AL delegation, they took me to the next open wheelchair spot - which happened to be right behind American Samoa. If you remember yesterday's seating chart, I was on the rail in back of section 112. I could have thrown something & hit the podium. I had a bird's eye view of backstage (unfortunately the exit side, so I was as surprised as anyone by President Obama!) I could even read the teleprompter, so I knew where those extra 2000 words were inserted by former President Clinton!

The one downside to my new place was the CODEPINK protester shown below:


This took place during Steny Hoyer's speech and yes, I was thinking "where is security?" The delegates in front of me started loudly cheering Hoyer so the protest was not distracting to everyone else.

Great, great night and I know tonight will be even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment